CaseViewer is a digital microscopy application designed for supporting the histopathological diagnostic workflow and the microscope examination process in bioscience.
Pathologists, researchers and medical students need user-friendly digital microscopy tools for the purposes of diagnosis, research and study that can be used across a variety of platforms and devices.
CaseViewer, 3DHISTECH’s advanced slide viewing software provides pathologists, researchers, lecturers and students with a ﬂexible and easy-to-use digital microscopy tool for more accurate diagnosis, better research and state-of-the-art pathology education.
Main new features (CaseViewer 2.4)
3DPeek developments for further enhanced 3D viewing
• New Video Record function: A video file in AVI format is created of the animation or manual operation of the selected area or annotation
• More user-friendly operations thanks to new 3D animation buttons: flexible rotation and animation speed options
Faster slide opening
Thanks to code refactoring, opening slides from SlideCenter has become significantly faster.
Further improved chat functionality including timestamp, multiple-line messages, logging and exporting of interactions and messages.
Scan preview window improvements
The scan preview window can now be resized, zoomed and the full preview image can be saved in several formats (JPG, PNG, BMP, TIFF).
Enhanced color options
• Enhanced color palette (Define Color panel): Four new editable color buttons have been added to the currently available eight predefined color buttons.
• Variable selection color for Annotations and variable color for Annotation Labels
Settings menu improvements
New options in the Settings menu to keep the following windows open on program startup or during opening a slide: Overview, Label area, Scan preview
Minimum system requirements
- Monitor resolution 1280 × 720
- Operation system Windows 7 SP1 or newer
- Graphics Card OpenGL 2.0 compatible
- CPU Intel DualCore
- RAM 2GB
Key features (general)
Easy slide viewing and navigation
- A simple and straightforward graphical user interface, suited for viewing brightfield, ﬂuorescence and confocal slides.
- MultiView: A maximum of nine slides of a single case with different stainings can be viewed simultaneously on the main screen.
- Case preview: A slide preview panel with all slides within a case is integrated into the main screen.
- Slide stack visualization: Slides of serial sections with different stainings can be organized and then aligned in a slide stack.
Advanced file management
CaseViewer opens several 3rd party digital slides: SVS files (Aperio by Leica Biosystems) and NDP, VMS, VMU files (Hamamatsu) and supports multiple file export formats: DICOM* (optional), TIFF, JPEG, SVS, MRXS.
- DDIC (Digital Diﬀerential Interference Contrast) is a contrast enhancement function to reveal small details of the tissue (Windows and Mac)
- Marker Counter* is a software module for counting stained cells, immune-positive cell structures or count mitosis in the tissue (Windows only)
- 3DPeek, a 3D View plugin for optimum Z-stack 3D* visualization (Windows only)
- Gradient Map Visualization (Windows and Mac)
- TMA Spot Detection* (Windows only)
- QuantCenter image analysis modules for automated quantitative evaluation*
(starting with QuantCenter 2.2) (Windows only)
*Note that these functions/plugins are license dependent and therefore not free.
Please note that the CaseViewer installer now also includes the Converter for TIFF and other third-party slide exports.
Note: the username and password registered on the 3DHISTECH website cannot be used to log in to the SlideCenter server.
Key features for Routine diagnostics
- Tracking history is available in high resolution recalling the history of reviewed regions of the slide step by step.
- Marker Counter is now available in CaseViewer as well. This optional licensed software module improves the workflow by counting relevant tissue structures faster and easier. It is an adequate solution for counting stained cells, immune-positive cell structures or count mitosis in the tissue.
- Autofluorescence compensation: FFPE (formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded) samples typically contain fluorescent background signals because of the autofluorescent characteristic of formalin. The image compensation feature limits the visual appearance of the fluorescent stain in the background and highlights the fluorescent signals of the relevant protein.
- DICOM snapshot export: The snapshot export function is now available in DICOM image format as well.
- TMA annotations: A new annotation can be defined and maintained by CaseViewer for TMA cores as well. The new TMA annotation is available in different sizes and colors. The new TMA annotation also supports the attachment of remarks to graphical TMA annotations.
- Supports SlideDriver for microscope-like navigation on digital slides.
- Scoring guides: A new grading and scoring guideline table is available in order to support the diagnostic process.
Key features for Research microscopy
- Native TIFF export: The annotations, the current view image and the whole slide image can be exported as a high-resolution TIFF image.
- JPEG snapshot export supports the most common JPEG image format in 300 DPI image resolutions.
- Histogram shows the representation of the distribution of colors in a digital slide. This function helps optimize digital slides based on black, white and gamma values. The new histogram supports 16-bit image presentation.
- DDIC (Digital Differential Interference Contrast) is a contrast enhancement function which can reveal small details of the tissue.
- Z-stack prefetch supports seamless transition of the layers and optical sections in confocal or Z-stack slides.
- Z-Stack 3D: Thanks to this new visualization feature Z-Stack slides can be presented in 3D. This function provides a window into the investigation of histological structures in real 3D view. This feature is optimal for brightfield, fluorescent and also for confocal slide visualization.
- Slide anonymity: By using this feature of the Slide Converter the label area image can be removed from the slide. The anonymized slide can be shared freely and used for teaching and publishing purposes.
- Slide Upload: The improved slide upload makes it possible to upload slides or folders (containing slides) in much faster speed (approx. 10x) than before.
- Tooltip: Detailed function description appears automatically by navigating the mouse arrow above any function button.
- Zoom limit Setting: In the Settings menu the default zoom limit can be increased in order to make digital zooming available for higher magnification.
- Multi-core support: The CaseViewer application supports high performance multi-core processor operation. The number of processor cores used for running the CaseViewer application faster and efficiently can be set in the Settings menu.
- Multi-instance enables the operating system to run multiple CaseViewer applications simultaneously on the same computer.
- 64 bit version: Besides the 32-bit version, a 64-bit version is available.