One of the most popular fields using digital slides is medical education.
Traditional histology, cytology and pathology education using the optical microscope has several disadvantages: a complex optical system is necessary, while only a limited number of students can participate; handling and navigating on glass slides is difficult and students can access instruction materials only in the classroom.
By integrating a slide management framework, an advanced digital slide viewing application and a ﬂexible examination software, 3DHISTECH’s ESchool package establishes a digital learning environment for histology, cytology and pathology in higher education of medical, veterinary and life sciences.
3DHISTECH’s comprehensive ESchool education package consists of the following components:
Optimal user management and digital slide storage with SlideCenter
SlideCenter is a fully featured, server-based slide database and storage solution. It provides
- Advanced user management: Student authentication through LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) connection
- Support for multiple-site teleconsultations
- Remote access to digital slides
- Slide anonymization through the Slide Converter
Advanced slide viewing functions with CaseViewer and InstantViewer
CaseViewer, 3DHISTECH’s advanced slide viewer enables online teleconsultation for both classroom and online education with a chat function for seamless communication and a flexible presenter role for students.
PathoNet: A free public portal for sharing digital slides
PathoNet provides a public interface for pathologists and medical students for instruction, practice, and teleconsultations. It is a digital image and slide collection suitable for sharing educational materials and holding slide seminars.
Exam Module: a flexible and efficient examination solution
Exam Module is a web-based examination solution with using the power of whole-slide images. Its key features include
- Support for multi-language examination sheets
- Several interfaces:
- Admin page (for instructors)
- Practice page (for students)
- Exam page (for students)
- Flexible examination options:
- Possibility for exam practice
- Time interval definition
- Result sharing
- Flexible answer options: Single- or multiple-choice answers and text answers can be added to the exam sheet
- Digital images or digital slides can be assigned to individual questions
- Randomization of questions to prevent cheating
- Automatic evaluation of answers
- Easy-to-use examination review (objective scoring system, immediate feedback to students) and administration